The Norwegian blues band contest
The Union Blues Cup Contest is held every year by The Norwegian Blues Union in cooperation with The Notodden Blues Festival and a few other partners. The winning band is crowned "Union Blues Band" for a year. A tour of Norwegian blues festivals and blues clubs will be booked through the Norwegian Blues Union and the following year.
The band Silo is Union Blues Band 2017.
Marcus Løvdal Band was Union Blues Band in 2014.
Union Blues Band 2013, Malvin Nøsen & The Company.
UNION BLUES BAND HISTORY 1999-2017
Ronnie Jacobsen Band
Last Train Home (Ålesund)
Little Andrew & The Blue Masters (Gjøvik/Toten)
Jumpin' Jerry & The Blue Healers (Trondheim)
Allen's Pit (Grenland)
Greasy Gravy (Hamar/Hadeland)
Varpen Band (Hemnes, Troms)
Hard Bargain Band (Egersund)
Bedrock Bluesband (Romerike)
Red Hot (Møre)
Shuffle Service (Romerike)
The Urban Blues Band (Tromsø)
Yngve & His Boogie Legs (Voss)
Malvin Nøsen & The Company (Molde/Fræna)
Markus Løvdal Band (Oslo/Akershus)
Tito Lausteen Quartet (Bodø)
Silo (Bremanger, Nordfjord)
UNION BLUES CUP
Criteria for participation :
- The band must be new to the Norwegian music scene
- They must perform blues or related music
- Observe the rules as set by the Norwegian Blue Union
- Consider participation in the Union Cup as an introduction to a further carreer
- Priority is given to younger artists
The winner will be chosen by the following criteria:
- Musical expression and technique
- Performance and presentation on stage
- Creativity (including original material)
- Future potential
Choosing the bands
Ten bands will be sent to the finals in Union Blues Cup. Five are selected from applications sent to the Norsk Rockforbund (www.norskrockforbund.no). The jury includes members of The Norwegian BluesUnion, the Norsk Rockforbund and Blues News. The second five bands are the winners of regional contests held around the country.
Every region of NBU have their own qualification cup. Invitations to clubs and festivals to host the cups are sent from the NBU office in January every year.
The winners of the five regional cups go on to the semi-finals at the Notodden Blues Festival. The same criteria, (as above), must be met for regional cups, semi-finals and the finals at the Notodden Blues Festival.
The finals for The Union Blues Cup are held at the Notodden Blues Festival during the first weekend of August. The semi-finals are on Friday between all ten selected/qualified bands. A jury selects four bands for the finals on Saturday.
The winner of the UBC becomes this year's Union Blues Band, and is awarded with a tour of Norwegian blues clubs and festivals. The tour will be booked from May till December of the following year.
Bands can sign up for the cup at their local clubs in The Norwegian Blues Union, or directly to Norsk Rockforbund's office. More info can be found on web at:
- Norsk Rockforbund (www.norskrockforbund.no)
- Bluesnews (www.bluesnews.no)
The application must include :
- A short introduction of the band, band photo, name of the band members, hometown/city, and a few words about the band's ambitions.
- A contact person: address, e-mail and phone number.
- Applications sent to NRF must also include a demo-cd or mp3-file.