Letter from Trampled Under Foot's Danielle

There has been some rumors around Danielle Hudspeth's incident at The Legendary Blues Cruise in Caribia in January. Danielle has sent out through her management an open letter to help explain the circumstances surrounding her recent medical emergency during the Blues Cruise.


An open letter from Danielle of Trampled Under Foot …

danielle.jpgThere are so many people that I need to thank for my being alive today. First of all, Roger Naber, LeAnne Clay, and Tommy Burns of The Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise staff, for getting the gears in motion; all of the Holland America medical staff, especially Nurse Eva Voisin, who came with me on the journey back to Florida; all of the Holland America staff who were involved in getting me safely off of the ship; the United States Coast Guard; the Trinity Air Ambulance; the entire medical staff at Imperial Point Medical Center in Fort Lauderdale, Florida; the countless musicians that I have respected for years, for stepping in to help with the shows; and finally, the Cruisers for their continued love and support. I truly felt it in my heart and soul.
So, here’s what happened…two days before the start of the cruise, we played a festival in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. I started feeling pains in my gut on the way to St. Thomas, but it wasn't horrible and, as we all know, the show must go on. We then traveled to Fort Lauderdale for the cruise and by the time I made it to my cabin on the ship, the pain was so bad that I was incapacitated in my bed for several hours. By that time we had already disembarked, but I just couldn’t take the pain anymore. I managed to find my dear friend Tommy, who in turn took me to LeAnne… I needed a girl for this sort of thing. She then took me to the ship’s infirmary where they took some blood for testing. I then went back to my cabin to wait. I sat there with Roger while we figured out what to do. By then, Nick, Kris, Katie, and Samantha were there…it's good to have a wonderful family! The next morning at my follow up appointment, it was decided that the risk was just too high for me to wait until our first port to get me looked at more extensively. The call was made to the U.S. Coast Guard and they agreed that I should be extracted from the ship. I was then flown to Turks Island where the Trinity Air Ambulance took me to the Imperial Point Medical Center. It was then discovered that my right fallopian tube had ruptured and that I was bleeding internally, and had been for quite a while. I had a successful emergency surgery and then returned home to Kansas City to recover.

My apologies to all of the TUF fans who were looking forward to seeing our shows. Believe me when I say that I was looking forward to them as well. Please know that only a life threatening circumstance such as this, could keep me from a show. I have been so deeply moved and overwhelmed by all of the love and support from everyone. There is no way that I can possibly thank my family, the ship staff, the musicians, and the cruisers contributing to my recovery. I will never forget any of this or any of you. Thank you.